CALL FOR WORKSHOP PROPOSALS/SIGS
The ECCB 2018 program commitee invites proposals for one or two day workshops or special interest group meetings (SIGs), to be held on Saturday 8 or Sunday 9 September, 2018, which will immediately precede the seventeenth European Conference on Computational Biology in Athens.
The workshops/SIGs are expected to provide participants with an informal setting to discuss technical issues, exchange research ideas, and to share practical experiences on a range of focused or emerging topics in bioinformatics.
Each workshop/SIG should provide an interesting perspective on the cutting edge of a selected research field. Workshops may include any form of presentation such as talks or panel discussions. Previous sessions have covered for instance:
- Analysis of Differential Isoform Usage by RNA-seq: Statistical Methodologies and Open Software
- BioNetVisA Workshop: from Biological Network Reconstruction to Data Visualization and Analysis in Molecular Biology and Medicine
- Computational Methods for Structural RNAs
- Computational and Systems Biology for Disease Comorbidities
- Machine Learning for Systems Biology
- Proteome and Metabolome Informatics
- Recent Computational Advances in Metagenomics
- Tools and Techniques for Analysis and Design of Macromolecular Structures
- Bioinformatics training for life scientists: Showcases and Challenges from a tutor’s perspective.
The organizer(s) of a workshop will be fully responsible for the workshop’s scientific content: they may invite speakers or call for submissions or combine the two options.
Workshops are scheduled either on Saturday, September 8, or on Sunday, September 9, from 9:00 to 17:00, with two half-hour coffee breaks and a one-hour lunch break. In exceptional and well-justified cases, two-day workshops may be scheduled from Saturday (September 8) to Sunday (September 9).
|9h00||start of workshop|
|17h00||end of workshop|
|12 December 2017||call for workshops/SIG proposals open|
|16 January 2018||original submission deadline for workshop/SIG and tutorial proposals||23 January 2018||extended submission deadline for workshop/SIG and tutorial proposals|
|10 February 2018||original acceptance notification for workshops/SIGs and tutorials||17 February 2018||extended acceptance notification for workshops/SIGs and tutorials|
|1 June 2018||detailed schedule with speakers online|
|1 July 2018||complete workshops/SIG program online|
|8 or 9 September 2018||workshops/SIG day(s) at ECCB 2018|
Each workshop proposal should not exceed 4 pages and should include the following information:
- title and abstract, giving the goals, motivation, and scope of the workshop;
- description of the target audience and expected audience numbers;
- list of tentative speakers and / or attendees (if available);
- history of the workshop if this is not the first instance;
- selection mode for contributions (invitation, call for submissions);
- relevant experience of the organizing committee;
- tentative organizing committee members (at least 2 to 3 members);
- contact information for the organizer.
An evaluation committee will consider the following criteria in assessing proposals: relevance to ECCB attendees, the expertise and experience of the organizers and lecturers, the feasibility of their proposal, along with the clarity and quality of the proposal.
Please save your proposals in PDF format and send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All workshops will take place on September 8 or 9, 2018 at the site of the main conference. ECCB will help with the administrative aspects of assigning rooms, making announcements, and with the publication of the detailed schedule in the conference program, but it cannot financially support the workshop speakers or organizers in their travel and accommodation costs. ECCB strongly encourages workshop organizers to seek independent funding for travel and accommodation, and to include any commitment that they may have secured in the proposal.
The workshop registration fees can be found below and will be used to cover costs for the room, coffee breaks, lunch, a PC and projector. Workshop registration is free for its organisers (up to two persons) and for invited speakers (up to four persons).
Workshop organizers are invited to prepare abstracts and any additional written material. Organizers are also kindly asked to collect slides and reference material in PDF format from speakers.
Slides and reference material for the workshop should be made available for download from each workshop web page. The organizers can edit their own web page with links to the documents corresponding to the presentations. If they want the documents to be downloaded from the ECCB 2018 website itself, they should send an unique assembled PDF file to email@example.com before July 31st, 2018 and indicate the place on their web page where the link for download should appear.
Workshop organizers are expected to operate within the context of ECCB procedures, including finalizing the program, providing materials by the deadlines, working within the budget, etc. ECCB reserves the right to cancel a scheduled workshop if, by one month before the conference, its number of registered participants is less than 15. For more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
FEES FOR WORKSHOPS/SIGS